Christopher Joel Ewing

"A man with no hand is not a man" - George Costanza

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Picking Up The Check?

For awhile now I've been struggling with, who picks up the check? Is it the guy or the girl? Over the summer I invited a girl to lunch and she insisted on paying and I respected her wishes. After telling my friends about this they denounced me and threaten to disown me. What is so wrong with letting the girl pick up the check? Are we not in a time of demanding gender equality in the home and in the workplace? Why not the restaurant? Please some one tell me the rules. I know that the guy should always pay, but what if the girl is bent on changing the rules? Does a reach for the check imply a desire to pay or is it just a courtesy to the guy who is paying? Should I not let her continue the reach for the check? I will say that once she touches the check, she is obligated to pay it. If she's not paying, she has no need to look at it. If it's not obvious already, I have not been on many dates. So I seek your wisdom and guidance through this dilemma.

CJE*

* For real opinions on real issues please visit cincyky.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

  • At January 23, 2005 at 4:05 PM, Blogger kenny said…

    I think a lot depends on individual incomes, how long you've been seeing each other (1st date, compared to 500th date), etc.. I'm a big fan of the guy paying - always. But, if I were out-of-work and for some reason my girlfriend was still with me and she was pulling in a nice penny, then I'd let her pay... but only if she offered first.

     
  • At January 24, 2005 at 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'll only let her pay after refusing 3 times. after 3, and she still wants to pay...then by all means, i'll have the lobster.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home